Friday, February 24, 2023

The Mystery Continues: Gerry

I haven't mentioned it on here in the last few months, but I'm still working on trying to identify all of the "mystery" Beavers. As evidenced by previous posts, I've had some pretty good luck in doing so thus far, but have recently encountered another player whose first name, despite many hours of research, continues to allude me.

The player in question is a certain "Gerry", who appears to have pitched in exactly one game on May 7th, 1935.

The Sacramento Bee 5/8/35
Given his lack of stats, it would appear that "Gerry" came in for the bottom of the 9th (although he could've just as easily have pitched the 8th and 9th innings) during a 11-11 game, gave up a run, picked up the loss; and then disappeared off the face of the earth.

This was the Beavers 29th game of the season, and although they were already below .500 (12-17 after this loss), management wouldn't have been panicking quite yet. And it was certainly still too early in the season to be bringing guys in from any great distance, especially not for just one game. My gut tells me that "Gerry" was local, probably playing on a semi-pro or college team no further South than Salem, and no further North than Vancouver, WA. Seattle's possible, but that seems like a bit of a stretch. 

I've looked around for any "Gerry" playing baseball in the area, with a heavy emphasis between 1930-40, and have come up with absolutely nothing. Part of me is wondering if his name is wrong in the box scores, but until someone can prove otherwise, I'll just have to assume that it's correct.

Seeing as how there's at least two unidentified players now, I'm going to be creating another page at the top of the blog for the names that have alluded me, in the hope of course that some new material will become available at a later date, or that somebody with the necessary information will stumble upon the blog at some point, and hopefully be kind enough to share said information.

8 comments:

  1. Good luck with this; I bet you will get it. Gary? Garry? Berry? etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate the confidence, but my research skills are far from elite, so it's very possible that I won't be able to find him on my own. And yes, I did try those names, along with Geary and Jerry (among a few others).

      Delete
  2. Hope this mystery gets solved eventually. It's interesting that the box score details the putouts, assists, and errors... yet omits the strikeouts and walks for the pitcher. I wonder if that was a common thing for the era or if that was the style that the Sacramento Bee went with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. May 8th was a weird day, most of the papers only did brief recap. And the couple that did do a box score, did them like this, missing stats and all. It was highly uncommon, and I don't know what the deal was.

      Delete
  3. Getty?

    I wonder how hard it would be to get a full directory of Portland residents of the era. Seems like something a geneology site would have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't tried that one, but did go back and look again. No dice.

      I don't know either. Finding such a thing is probably beyond my abilities.

      Delete
  4. Do you have the box score of the game from the Portland paper or another paper? Sometimes the names can differ especially if he was a new player and/or local to Portland, etc. In other words, the Sacramento folks might have messed it up.

    If it turns out to be Gerry, Bo's suggestion of trying to find a city directory could be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I mentioned above, most papers didn't do box scores for the games from May 7th. Those that did, all have him listed as Gerry, and he is listed as such in all of the brief recaps as well. I only used the Bee's box score because it was the clearest.

      It probably would, but I have no idea how to go about finding such a thing.

      Delete