Monday, June 6, 2022

The all-time list is finally done!

This blog hasn't worked out quite as well as I had hoped, or at least as of this writing it hasn't. Producing mini biographies is considerably more difficult than I thought it would be (taking some writing courses way back when probably would've helped with this). I envisioned doing at least a few posts a month, but have only managed a handful over the last year or so. I have about a dozen unfinished drafts though; that counts for something, right?

I'm hoping things will pick up around here at some point, but on the off chance that they don't, I wanted to at least do one thing to make this blog stand out from any other similar sites; that being to finish my already more complete than any other sites list of all-time Beavers players. And I'm happy to say that I've finally done it.

I've been going at it pretty hard for the last four weeks, but I think that the effort was well worth it, as I now have a list of every known Portland Beaver, ever! The only downside is that all of this research has added a few more names to my list of unidentified players, which as of a few days ago was at 23. I have identified one more as of this writing though (post coming soon), so now it's down to 22. These names will be added to the overall list as they're identified, or probably in some cases, not identified. 

I'm not sure how many names are on the all-time list, but I noticed a while back that my old list seemed to be testing the limits of how much data one can store on a Blogger page, as it was slowing down all of my devices every time I attempted to add another name. With this in mind, I did have to break up the list in to two pages, A-L, and M-Z. It's not ideal, but it'll do for the time being.

I realize that there will only be a finite amount of people who will ever be interested in such a list, but if you just so happen to be one of those people, you can check out A-L here, and M-Z here. Of course you can always just click on the tabs that are underneath the blog's header too. I'd like to make those stand out a little more, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. I will though.

It took considerably longer to finish than I had imagined, but it's done, and now I can focus a bit more on those mysterious final 22 guys that no one currently has any real information on.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats! It's an impressive list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be more impressive if I can identify, and add, a few more of the mystery players to it.

      Delete
  2. Good job Jon! Hope there are lots of Beaver fans who utilize these two lists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't expect there to be much interest, but it was something that I really wanted to do. I guess if even one person ever finds to be of any use, it'll have been worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. Congrats! Yeah, Blogger has problems with my big "cards in tv and movies" page.. I nearly lost it a couple times due to the site crapping out but thankfully had a backup.. I should probably break it into 2 pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to keep it all on one page for as long as I could, but was starting to worry that something funny might happen, what with all of the problems it was starting to have. For the time being, there doesn't seem to be any problems loading, or adding to, the two pages, so I guess that's just the way it's gotta be.

      Delete
  4. Very cool! At some point I'd like to help with your "one card of every Beaver" project. I am in the very long process of uploading my tradelist into TCDB which should make that much easier when I am done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I've really been dragging my ass with that. With current prices being what they are, I haven't really been focusing much on the collecting part of this blog. Attempting to document things has become much more important to me since I started the blog, so much so that I suspect that that will be my main focus going forward; that is if I can find the motivation to keep posting (it's been pretty non-existent as of late).

      Delete